Saturday, February 19, 2011

Update on Surgery

Sorry it took so long to get back on here. We left on Monday for Atlanta, surgery on Tuesday, brought my boys home Friday...boy this week flew by!

Now the update - Riley was such a tough guy going into surgery. We discovered several surgeries ago that Versed(drug given to children to make them a little loopy before procedures) was not a good or necessary idea for Riley. It made the wake up and recovery FAR worse. Anyway, with no drugs or tears our brave little man went back to surgery. Reportedly he did as daddy suggested and asked everybody "what's up doc?". I know corny but cute all at the same time! We were then taken to the waiting room where everyone else was. When I say everyone that would be because altogether there were EIGHT people there to love and support us through this - GOD is great!
Since I hadn't had breakfast yet I went down to get some with Bro. Randall, Mrs. Edie and Bro. Bobby. When I returned to the waiting room Chester told me the nurse called just a couple minutes after I left to say they were getting started. I sat and talked and entertained Tate and then about 20 minutes later the phone in the waiting room was for us - the nurse said they were done. What? This surgery was supposed to take about 6 hours and it had barely been an hour. Was this good or bad? We were taken to the consult room and waited for the doctor. He came in and told us that he had expected this to be far more arduous (his word not mine), but that everything was right where he needed it to be and he didn't encounter any scar tissue like he had anticipated. Cool - Praise the Lord! Only God could take a six hour surgery and condense it to less than one!
Riley was only in recovery about 30 minutes - very short compared to his usual recovery times. He went straight to his room - no ICU for this boy. He was definitely feelin' a little weak but he was talking and doing good. He was doing well enough (and Tate not so much) that Chester and I decided it would be best for Tate and me to head on home. He does not do well out of his element. Spoiled? YES
Well, Regan and I went back to get Chester and Riley yesterday and all is well. He is a little sore, but on his way back to doing anything he wants to. We like the urostomy bag pretty good. A little funny though - last night when I was going to hook him up to his night bag (a first for me) I didn't hold the end up right and sprayed pee all over me and Riley's foot!
God is forever faithful to be there with us and to hold our hands through all that we have been through with Riley, but this time I just can't thank or praise Him enough!

3 comments: